Thursday, January 19, 2012

Top Ten Best Video Games in the World

I'm gonna make my first blog post a top ten list of video games that I think are the best in the world.  I would love to hear what you think of my lists too so be sure to comment about how I'm an idiot, an expletive, <insert racial slur here> for picking this or that game.  So without any pomp or circumstance here is my Top Ten List of Games That Are The Best In The World or TTL GTA TBIT W for short.


If you are like me then this statement is probably true: I play video games to feel powerful and badass.  I am not a powerful person in real life.  I'm a 29 year old Army Reservist/ Police Dispatcher whose daughter thinks is "Cool".  In Oblivion, my character is the most powerful mage in Tamriel who can cast spells for any situation and that literally killed every single person in one village with one spell.  It looked a lot like this.
 
Not to say that a person can only feel powerful by destroying something or someone but it gives an example to gauge from.  The major draw of this game was the ability to customize your character in everyway possible.  I spent countless hours doing Oblivion marathons while my then pregnant wife played "The Movies" on PC.

#2 Goldeneye ( Nintendo 64 )
In the nineties, you might have watched an awesome James Bond film called Goldeneye. In it, a famous British Secret Agent named James Bond played by actor Pierce Bronson, has to unravel the secret identity of a villian known as Janos and stop him from using a  "laser"  

orbiting Earth to destroy major cities.  Now imagine a game based around that on the N64 with local multiplayer support.  Doesn't sound like it's that great but I was in my teens embodying an icon, preventing world destruction, and owning my friends in deathmatches!  Who doesn't want to do that?  I know I did! 

#3 Zombie Gunship ( iPod Touch / iPhone / iPad )
Now I have always been a hardcore gaming console player but I recently got an iPod Touch for a birthday present from my mom, Thanks mom, and downloaded this truely addictive game off a causal search through the App Store.  Zombie Gunship is the simplist game packed with all kinds of unlockables that I play over and over and over again.  You are a gunner in an AC130 Gunship equiped with a 25mm mini gun, 40mm Bofors rockets, and a 105mm Howitzer.  To enhance your undead masacre, you get a white/black hot night vision.  For those of you that have played Modern Warfare 2 spec ops levels, remember the one where you were a gunner in an AC130?  This game is that but with zombies.  My best score to date is 6 humans.  I know that you are suppose to count zombie kills but I hate it when those dumb civilians run along side a 20 man group of zombies.  I mean come on, who does that?  If I were in the middle of a damn zombie apocolypse, I wouldn't be getting my cardio on next to them (although that would be a great motivator).  Seriously though my best is like 941 kills, which may seem like a lot but I'm like 10,000th on the leaderboard for the game so I'm not that great.  I can't imagine what type of ADHD people can score better than me.   According to Scuba Steve @ videogameforums.com, the high score is 151,000.  I don't know how accurate this is but I'm gonna say it's probably in the ballpark.

#4 Jetpack Joyride ( iPod Touch / iPhone / iPad )
Touch the screen to go up.  Let go of the screen to go down.  Don't hit the zappers, lasers or missles, collect coins and try to go as far as possible.  Purchase vehicle upgrades, costumes and some very zany jetpacks.  Simple as that sounds, this insanely addictive game has entranced me for more than five playthroughs totally over 8 hours of gameplay for the low low price of $0.99!  I can't put into words what it is about this game that hooks me, which is very unfortunate considering this is a blog.  Oh well, go buy this game and find out.  I mean if you think it sucks, it only cost $0.99!

#5 Super Mario World ( Super Nintendo )

It's the Mario Bros. 1st appearance on the Super Nintendo and the greatest one ever.  For the first time Mario was seen in 16 glorious bits riding on a dinosaur exploring this massive world in a cape.  I remember using that cape to glide through a full level.  The only times I touched the ground was when I started the level and when I finished the level.

#6 Spiderman 2 ( Xbox )

When Marvel Comics and Sony Entertainment announced Spiderman the movie, I openly wept.  Not really but I think you know where I'm going with this.  Peter Parker is the greatest superhero of all time!  No other comic book, tv, movie or video game character has the same humanity feel that Spiderman does.  He is a character that people can connect with emotionally because he has real problems with relationships, work, marriage, etc.  Spiderman is who Peter is to escape his life and not the other way around.  With the game, I got to be that but interactively.  I forgot to eat while playing this game.  My friends would have to stop by and remind me to.  I would still play this game today, not as much, if the Xbox 360 had made it backwards compatable.  Oh and for people that know games, the guys that did Black Ops, did Spiderman 2 just so you can imagine how well it was done.  Oh and for a final thought on this, Spiderman 3 sucked worse then anything I can imagine.  I'm going to do a post explaining in detail what that movie should have been.

#7 Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy ( Xbox )

You can pick people up, hurl them across a room, drop them from incredible heights, hit them with things in the environment, drop things on them, posses them, make them kill themselves with whatever weapon they have (including a bazooka) and set them on fire all with your mind while shooting them.  Oh and you can do it as Scorpion from Mortal Kombat if you have the cheat code.  Do I really need to explain why that is awesome?


#8 Call of Duty: Black Ops ( Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC )

I know having this game at number 8 on my list will drive some people up the wall but hear me out.  I played this game so much in Iraq during my last deployment that I would have dreams about it.  I loved this game when it come out and liked it in Iraq but now I hate it.  And for spite I hate MW3 even though I've never played it just because it shares a name with Black Ops.  Now this rant is just geared toward the multiplayer death matches.  Zombies is in my humble opinion the best thing since sliced bread and would have stood up as a stand alone title. 
The repetitive killing of Nazi Zombies

is broken up in waves but you never truely feel safe from the undead.  Add to it that you never have enough ammo.  All in all this is a supremely well done gameplay mode and I can't wait to see the next one.

#9 Super Punch Out!! ( Super Nintendo )



Nuff said.

#10 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ( Nintendo 64 )


When this game first came out my 80 year old french horn instructor made the comment "You play video games right?  Did you know they made a game about a sweet potato?" 


Unknown to me, "sweet potato" is what his generation of musicians called an ocarina.  Having never been a fan of sweet potatoes myself, the reference went over my head until I discovered sweet potato fries.  I have also never played a Zelda game until then due to the overall time requirement a person had to spend with the game.  I was envolved with band, baseball, soccer, boyscouts and school but when this game came out, I had failed at everything but band so I was free to play.  Plus I had a tv in my room by then so I didn't have to wait for a turn on the family tube.  I liked the "go anywhere, do anything" feel of the game.  So to summorize, Ocarina of Time = Sweet potato fries.

I hope you enjoyed my TTL GTA TBIT W.  Be sure to comment, like and share this blog with everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment